“TOGETHER, we can Support Our School”
What it is: The SOS campaign (Support Our School) was created in 2004 by passionate Fremont parents to raise funds for the science and technology labs after LBUSD stopped funding them. These monies are completely separate from the general PTA fund and are held (similar to a savings account) and distributed by the Long Beach Education Foundation (LBEF).
Why we do it: The SOS foundation is necessary because Fremont’s PTA raises funds for the school activities and programs, but PTA regulations prohibit fund raising for salaries. Please help us continue to be the outstanding school that we are by donating to SOS.
What you get: Science and computer instruction specialists enrich our students’ elementary education with hands-on science and technology lessons. The majority of Fremont 5th-graders achieve advanced proficiency on the STAR Science Test, which proves that this enrichment helps our students. Also, middle school parents and instructors have told us that Fremont students are better prepared in computer science than their peers. Fremont is the only K-5 school in the entire LBUSD that offers curriculum integrated labs taught by designated specialized instructors in both science and technology, and this makes a difference for our students.
Parent Survey Results and Trends
- 99.1% of access to a digital device with internet at home
- Almost 70% of parents encourage their children to utilize internet connected devices to engage in online programs and apps to supplement his/her education
- Almost 90% of parents are comfortable with their children using a computer or digital device at home to complete school work, homework, and projects
- Approx.. 16% percent of students use a computer or digital device to complete schoolwork, or homework often.
- Approx.. 43% percent of students use a computer or digital device to complete schoolwork, or homework sometimes.
- Approx.. 26% percent of students use a computer or digital device to complete schoolwork, or homework infrequently.
- Approx.. 10% percent of students use a computer or digital device to complete schoolwork, or homework never.
- About 65% of parents are interested in technology training.
- Approx. 80% of parents would like to be informed about how to support their children’s education through the use of technology and internet connected devices.
- Approx. 60% of parents strongly agree and agree to having strong knowledge of the various STEM activities offered at school. 14% are neutral, and 21% strongly disagree or disagree.
- Approx. 65% of parents strongly agree or agree to having a good understanding of the learning experiences in the Science Lab. 14% of parents are neutral, and 21% strongly disagree or disagree.
- Approx. 60% of parents strongly agree or agree to having a good understanding of the learning experiences in the Computer Lab. 21% of parents are neutral, and 20% strongly disagree or disagree.
- Approx. 70% of parents have a very good understanding of how SOS donations are used and why they are critical. 13% are neutral, and 18% of parents strongly disagree or disagree.
- 82% of parents prefer to receive STEM communication and SOS updates and communication through email. 11% prefer a newsletter/flyer, and 4% prefer the webpage.